Saturday, December 06, 2008

Orange please!

Tom asked me a very interesting question on Monday. He asked, "Mom, have I ever had an orange?" Of course he's had an orange, but just like everything else in this world he stopped eating them about 2.5 years ago. I mean, it's rough being the pickiest kid on the planet. There's no variety in your diet! He eats three fruits. Bananas, apples and strawberries. And right now, strawberries, if I can find them, are $5 a pound in the grocery store. Double what they cost during the summer months, so I only spoil him with them a couple times a month.

Again on Tuesday he asked the same question, "Mom, have I ever eaten and orange?" Again, my answer, "of course you've had an orange, but it was a long long time ago." Then he said he wanted to try one, right then! Well that posed a problem because it was nap time and there were no oranges in the house. I promised him I would call daddy and have him pick up an orange and he can have it after his nap.

Well I'm the worst mother in the world because I forgot to have Paul pick up the orange. A couple more days pass and Thursday night after dinner he asks again, "Mom? Have I ever eaten an orange?" Again, same answer. This time I promise to pick one up while he's in preschool on Friday morning. And I did! Actually I bought two! I was feeling optimistic that he was going to fall in love with oranges.

After Tom woke up from his nap on Friday afternoon I told him I had two oranges for him. His eyes sparkled. I mean, just like I had told him he won a million dollars sparkle. Then he got all excited and said he'd eat one orange now and one after dinner. Perfect! Paul peeled the orange quickly in the kitchen and I ran to get the camera just as Tom was sitting down to eat. I practically tripped on my way to the kitchen because I wanted to be there to film the experience. I'm not sure I can do it justice, so I'll just post the video here and you can tell me what you think. Do we have an orange lover in the house?

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I don't like eating peeled oranges either! I prefer them sliced into wedges so I don't taste that skin/membrane stuff first. Bleh! Maybe Tom can come over and try eating oranges with me. :)

Anonymous said...

That is pretty cute!!! I am not an orange fan either.

Anonymous said...

OMG that is to cute! You can tell he put a lot of thought into trying it, then if he liked it. So cute!

Chipmunk Chatter said...

That was awesome! Kodoos to him for trying.

Christina said...

That is adorable - he likes them juicier!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Your kids are adorable!!!!