Friday, August 24, 2007

Room 323

Checking into the hospital has it's own set of rules and it doesn't seem to matter if you've done it a bazillion times or not. It's slow.

I went to get my admit orders at the doctor's office at 9:45AM. Which means I was up at 7AM, sat in bed staring at the wall for awhile. Trying not to puke. Did some of my breathing treatments and didn't take any of my antibiotics because frankly, I wasn't sure I could keep them down. I knew I'd be getting the good IV antibiotics anyway today.

The kids knew they were going to my friend Jenn's house today and Tom was so cute. He says "I have to pack my toys." Then he takes 4 railroad track pieces from his Thomas the Tank Engine set, puts them in his school backpack and announces "I'm done!!! Let's go now! I'm ready!" Well, mama wasn't ready, so I sent the kids ahead of me so I could have one last shower at home to wash my hair without the darn IV tape to worry about. I leaned into the car, first with Tom. I told him, "mommy's going to the hospital, I'll see you in a few days." He just looks at me with the biggest grin, "youuuuuuuuuu got your voice back!" as he grabs my chin to tickle it. LOL! Then I moved over to Abby. She does this thing when she doesn't think she'll like what you're going to say where she looks straight ahead (not at me) and kinda out of the corner of her eye peers at me while I'm talking. So I told her, "mommy's going to the hospital, and I'll see you in a few days." Silence. I whispered "I love you!" and she smiles. Then Tom leans forward in his seat, "I love you mommy! I love you! Yes I do!" Talk about melting my heart!

So off go the twins to visit my friend Jenn for the day. We packed up some toys (we convinced Tom he needed more than the 4 tiny pieces of track to play trains at Jenn's house, but those are his favorite pieces "the bumps" he says.) So we stuffed a rolling suit case with everything Thomas and sent them on their way. I jumped in the shower and finished packing my things. Paul was back so we headed to the doctor's office. Once there, they said they had already called over for my bed around 7AM. And it would be ready at 12:30.

Now this poses a problem two fold. Number 1, the bed's not going to be ready at 12:30. It never is. And I hate sitting in that hospital lobby waiting. Number 2, I have to have radiology insert my PICC line (IV line that goes from my bicep to my heart). I have teeny tiny veins and they use ultrasound and xray technology to make sure everything is in place and they only have to stick me once. Well, IF I got into my room by 2PM this would not give the staff enough time to order my PICC today (they close at 4) and don't come back till Monday! So I asked doctor to send me over to a different hospital to have my line placed, then I went out to lunch, and then made it to check into my hospital at 1PM (room was not ready) and finally up to the room around 1:45. Deep breath.

I'll leave you with this image. If this isn't true.....I don't know what is!

No comments: