Thursday, February 07, 2013

My Dog Has OCD Too

It's no secret that I'm obsessive about certain things. I've passed this trait onto my son. We're obsessive about numbers, and timing, and matching, and order. All sorts of things. Now my dog has it too.

After dinner we rinse our plates and place them in the dishwasher. Queue "plate time." This is when Orion comes to the dishwasher to lick the plates clean, incase we didn't rinse them all the way. If there is a lag time between the time we put our forks down and plate time the dog starts to get anxious. He paces and barks. This is probably the point where we should discipline him, put him on his bed, and make him stay there. Nope, that's not what we do. We oblige and move onto plate time.

Well tonight it was just Abby and me. Orion barked and paced, we let him in and out of the house, then he barked and paced again. Abby said, "it's plate time!" And so it was. Then I sat back down at the table while Abby finished some fruit and cookies. Orion then barked and paced and we let him in and out of the house but he barked and paced again. I'm thinking, what in the world?

It was time to do the dishes. He could smell the dinner still on the stove. He knew I wasn't doing things in the right order. I was supposed to be cleaning dishes. He wasn't happy until I did. Then when I was all done it's time to follow me to my room for treatment time, which is what I'm doing now. This is when Orion pretty much settles down for the night. He lays on the floor next to the bed and I kick him out around 9pm when I go to bed.

So I've managed to give my dog OCD. He does the same things at the same time of day, same as me. *sigh*

In other news, I'm starting to feel like myself this week.  When I talked to my mom earlier this week she apologized profusely saying, she hadn't been praying hard enough for me and that's why maybe I'd been sick so long so she was going to start praying for me a lot. I guess we'll call this one Catholic guilt.

Well, I don't know what happened but this week I finally started feeling more like myself. I did laundry. I made beds. I took showers and washed my hair. It's still hard to do everything because my lung function is so low, I'm still getting fevers every now and then, but I don't feel very sick. Just don't ask me to talk and walk at the same time. Hardest task EVAR!   Even worse than toweling off after the shower or making the bed in the morning. Yeah, it's that bad.

No comments: