Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Future Star?

Tom begrudgingly tried out for a select soccer team. Actually the try outs were for a particular football club called FC Elk Grove. From the try outs they pick you for their competitive teams (both A and B teams) and select teams (I'm not sure if there are A and B select teams).

Competitive soccer is "year round" from March to November. That can't be right because it's 10 months long, but anyway, you get the idea. I'm new to this!

I kinda wish he would have made a select team. It's cheaper and the season is shorter. But they like to take the talented players to the competitive teams so he made the U9 Boys Competitive FC Elk Grove team for the 2013 season. The first 3-6 weeks of practice will determine if he is placed on the A team or the B team. There's no difference in price really and when all is said and done I expect we will have shelled out nearly $2K for the season but the A and B teams do play in different tournaments depending on the club's decisions. It's my understanding the B team might not play in as many games or tournaments or something.

Anyway, a congratulations to Tom. I'm VERY proud of him and I know he's quite talented.

He's actually quite upset that he made the team which sounds funny. His recreational soccer team, which he has played with for 3 years, is breaking up. At least three of the boys are going comp/select but they are a year older and they play U10.  Tom has always "played up" a year so this is hard on him.  Now he's the oldest in the class.

I know another boy not coming back next year and neither coach is coming back either. So it's a bit like changing schools for him. New coaches no matter where he goes, new teammates. This little mama's boy does not like change, but I know after a month of practices, heck, after a week of practices, he will be loving his new teammates. Being one of the biggest and one of the oldest on the team might make him one of the more experienced. Not for long, I'm sure. This is a good club and I hope they are great teachers.  This will all be new and all very interesting as it unfolds this year.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Wow - congratulations Tom - that is exciting! Wow, $2k - yikes! I have been worried about getting into soccer because of the cost and the time commitment. But I know a lot of kids love it!