Monday, December 10, 2012

My Kids Are the Best

After nearly breaking down in tears because my arm hurts so bad and there's so much to do this evening and Paul's not home Tom hugs me and says, "Mom, I know, the first couple days are the hardest."  *sobs* OMG!~  And Abby gets out of the shower, she's totally naked and she just says, "First things first mom," and she comes to give me a hug. Totally independent of Tom. How much do I love these guys???!!!

So yeah, I knew things were getting bad. Lung function is down from Nov1 42% to 37% today. I'm started on two IV antibiotics and one pill. I can't do the third antibiotic I always do b/c my kidneys suck so bad and that drug is soooo toxic! I saw 4 different doctors today if you count the lab. My arm is really sore from my PICC line because I'm not allowed to take motrin anymore due to my kidney disease.

Tom and Abby have been so helpful. Well first of all, a shout out to my wonderful neighbor who took my kids home with her for 3 hours, did their homework with them, and gave them a snack on a moment's notice! I love you! They are awesome neighbors to have. In fact I have lots of awesome neighbors that would have done the same thing.

Tonight, Tom took his shower first so he was running around the house, "Mom, what else can I do for you? What else? I'll do anything you need me to do." So they helped get their clothes out for tomorrow, packed lunches, snacks, picked out breakfast and it's only 7:30pm, so now they are doing the rest of their homework (reading for 20 minutes) and then they will call Dad to say goodnight.

Paul will be home tomorrow thank god because I think I'm just going to curl up in a ball for two weeks.  Maybe I will wake up tomorrow and everything will feel ok and great. Probably not though b/c I have to get up at 6:45am. Yuck. And I have another appointment downtown at 11 to change my dressing.

My PICC site really hurts this time, and it's funny b/c there was no pain going in. In fact, they didn't even use a tourniquet! I was in Interventional Radiology but this is a first. I said, "It's not like I want to tell you how to do your job or anything but are you aware I'm not wearing a tourniquet." And this doc says, I don't need one today. So strange. And he was fast.

I think it's the lack of motrin making the pain so bad to be honest. Tom helped me find the Tylenol and we'll see if that helps. I've got my IVs pumping in a little early since it's the first day and I'm going to lie down when I'm done with my treatments. I waited for over 2 hours to get my PICC put in. But hey, I got free parking. I rolled up to the garage in my nice car and told the guy, hey, I only have 3 bucks in my wallet. And he said, "well you know what? It only costs $2 to park here, but I don't want to take all your money so here's a ticket for you to park for free." Merry Christmas, dude. What a sweet guy.

I'm just rambling because I had a really strange day. The school called me at 3:30 and asked if I knew where M was? M is Abby's good friend. Apparently M's mother said she never made it home from school. *worst nightmare ever!*

I had called the school so they could let the twins know I wasn't going to be picking them up. So when they called my cell to ask where M was I told them I wasn't even home yet! I told them to call the neighbors that had my kids and if she wasn't there, which I knew she would not be there because M is a latchkey kid and the other mother, just like myself, would never let a latchkey kid stay at our house without speaking to said latchkey's mother!  So like I thought, M wasn't there but the neighbor went across the street to the other latchkey kid, J, and there they were, M and J, hanging out. 8 years old. No grown ups, just having a play date. OMG! I feel sorry for them in a way. Too young to be on their own. And M's mother! She must have been going crazy for a good half hour before they found M.

The most awesome thing just happened. I just realized I don't have to inhale my antibiotics because i'm infusing them into my arm. OMG this is going to shorten my treatment time hooked up to the nebulizer and vest to just 30 minutes. I forgot about that one perk of being on iV antibiotics. I hope my next update is much more fun and actually about the kids instead of me whining.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Your kids ARE the best. They are so sweet! I'm sorry you had such a crummy day and I'm sorry your arm hurts. I hope that you feel better tomorrow. I wish I could give you some of my lung function. :-)