Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day at the Park

Today Tom and Abby's friends called and asked if we wanted to help them sell lemonade at Miwok Park. It was a park I had been to only once before. The play structure is under some gorgeous large oak trees and it's an all wooden structure with ramps and bridges. It just gives some different scenery than the standard plastic stuff the twins always play on in the brand new parks in our neighborhood.

Well there was a lot more drinking lemonade than selling going on but the kids had a good time. I had stopped by Carl's Jr to grab a chicken sandwich on the way since it was really late and I hadn't eaten lunch yet. I noticed some squirrels getting rather brave and close to me and my Carl's Jr. garbage. I probably should have thrown the bag away much sooner than I did but I sat there practically on the ground at the edge of the wooden playground for a good hour talking to two other moms while the kids played.

As if the squirrels weren't bad enough, one of the moms says, "Is that a rat?" Sure enough, closest to me, but still quite a ways off, under the play structure out comes a big rat. As long as he stays over there, I'm ok, right? Well, I have my back turned on the rat and all of the sudden one of the moms faces goes blank and she gets up super quick and runs away as I start to feel something bumping into my ankle. (I'm wearing only flip flops on my feet.) Thinking it was the rat I jumped up as fast as my weak legs could go, stumbled into the bark, scraped my knee, recovered (not gracefully) and started shrieking, "Where is it? Where is it?!"

I thought it was the rat, but indeed.... it was only a mouse. Still... THAT WAS MY ANKLE! Ewwwwwww!!!!! I've looked very closely to make sure I haven't been scratched as I really don't want to go get my rabies vaccine today. I think that might be the last time I go to that park.

1 comment:

Amy said...

um ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Rats and Mice at a kids park??? I know they are wild animals but I have been to many playground parks and have NEVER seen that! Even the ones that sell food!

GROSS!