Tuesday, May 25, 2010

London!

This is not going to be a very exciting post, as I don't want to take much time to write it.

We arrived in London at 10:30AM on Monday. After the 12 hour flight my legs were swollen like they were after my surgery in February. I guess my lymphatic system has not fully recovered! Mental note, get up and walk around the plane on the ride home.

We arrived at the Marriott Maida Vale hotel around noon or 1pm, I can't remember. It was the middle night for us so we were tired. We pretty much passed out until 5pm when we got up for dinner. Turns out several of the Maida Vale area restaurants are closed on Mondays. Who woulda thunk? We ended up going to a steak house near Paddington before the big game. We made our way to Wembly stadium just in time to find out that 10 minutes before the football starts, they STOP selling beer. Poor Paul.

The game (England v Mexico) was awesome! The fans are amazing, chanting and singing the whole time. I couldn't figure out exactly what they were saying most of the time, I had to have my british husband translate for me. We were also part of a new world record for the largest human flag. Each of the 90,000 fans were given either a red or white t-shirt depending on where your seat was located. There were then two flags of England on either side of the stadium. Quite a sight! I have to admit, the crowd looked pretty awesome and it was fun to be a part of it.

This morning we slept in to get over the jet lag and finally got out the door in time to find some lunch. We started out in Covent Garden and walked around after lunch all day long. We found Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus, Oxford St, Regent St (and the largest Apple Store on the world!) and of course ended with Wagamama for dinner.

At the Apple store we video chatted with the twins. It was 4PM in London so they were just getting up at 8AM and having a good time with Uncle Sean. There we were in the middle of the biggest Apple Store in the world and the twins changed their background to "roller coaster" (those familiar with iChat will know what I'm talking about) so they were raising their arms and hooting and hollering "whooo wheeeeeeeeee!" as we chatted away in public. (It looks like they're on a roller coaster in the background, instead of just the background of the room they are in) Good times.

Something I don't remember from my previous trips to London are the hills. I don't know if we found the only hills in London, or if they are everywhere, but this time around with only 42% lung function and a very weak body I've had so much trouble keeping up. Poor Paul has to walk at "Tara's pace" and I cannot carry on a conversation and walk at the same time. My legs are sore and aching but we made it through today.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to see more sights by sitting down. We plan to get an all day River Roamer pass and just spend time on/off the Thames taking pictures and eating of course.

Well that's what we've been up to so far. One more full day in London and then we're off to Grantham on Thursday for Mark and Sarah's wedding!

1 comment:

The Mantha Family said...

I didn't realize you were going to the UK ... and without the kids ... yeah! Good for you guys! Have fun!