Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Heading to Club Med!

I'm heading into the hospital today. I don't know how long I'll be there. If I can finish a 2 week course of IV antibiotics and then be done for good, I would love to just get it all done there. But if the IVs will last longer than 2 weeks, I'll probably come home around day 9 or 10.

I had a very long day yesterday. I went to see my surgeon as a follow up for my hernia surgery. Everything looks good except my swelling. I'm having severe swelling in my feet. But the repairs all look good. I might even get my last drain out in the next day or two. He's going to make a house call to my hospital to take it out for me on Weds or Thursday. It's still producing a lot of bloody fluid, which is good, so it's doing it's job. But it's annoying and I just want the thing out.

After the surgeon I went to see Dr. Chipps only he wasn't there so I saw the nurse. Once I saw my PFTs I knew it was bad. I knew I couldn't breathe and I knew I couldn't get off the oxygen (I'd been on it 24x7 since the surgery on Feb 26) but I had no idea I was at 29/30%. That's like transplant stage. Crazy! I have never been that low in my life. 0.95 liters. Under one liter. That's..... uncool. No wonder I can't walk! Off then I went to lunch. Lunch at a restaurant by yourself is not nearly as much fun as it is with friends. So I ate and left to get a chest xray. By the time I got home the nurse had the xray results and had already talked to the doctor. He said he definitely wants to admit me today, Tuesday, because that's my lowest PFT ever! Then he also said I have pneumonia in my right upper lung. Great.

The did a sputum culture during my surgery 11 days ago and they had the preliminary results, which were good. Basically I'm not growing anything new or devastating down there. It's just the regular old PA rearing it's ugly head. Poor Abby, thought SHE gave me her pneumonia. She had a different kind for sure b/c healthy people can't culture PA. I told her in no way did she do that and she did just fine while I was taking care of her. Now the fact that Tom gave her the cold that gave me the cold... well, it's debatable to say Tom actually did this. But that is the price I pay to send my kids out in public, *gasp!* where all the germs are! I think we had a good run, no colds since August when they started Kindergarten. That's pretty fantastic if you ask me!

So my 2.5 year streak of no IVs is over. I'm back on the juice. They'll have a bed ready for me at 2pm today. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in there Tara. Hope the rest and abx do the trick and you are up and about in to time.

Kevin

Jess said...

Good luck to you!! I hope the IV's kick pneumonia outta there. I had pneumonia too, back in October, blah. The IV's did the trick though, so I'm hoping the same for you! :)

The Mantha Family said...

I hope they can get you better very quickly!

Amy said...

well 2.5 years isn't so bad!!! Hang in there honey I'll be thinking of ya!