Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Complicated Hamper

Before I forget, I must tell you that something clicked in Abby's head last night. For the last 2 years or so, we have been letting the twins put their own clothes in the family clothing hamper. This hamper is very nice in that it has 3 sections. I choose to use one for whites, one for light colors and one for dark colors. This hamper also happens to be on a plastic frame with castor wheels for convenience. Though I never actually roll it anywhere because each section also comes with it's own bag with handles to carry to the washing machine. I suppose if I had three washers I would roll the whole hamper so I could do all 3 loads at once. (right now I have no washer.... but that's for a different kind of sob story blog post)

Every single night Abby dictates each one of her articles of clothing to me and asks specifically which hamper category it falls into: "Front" (white), "Middle" (light colors) and "Back" (dark colors). So then I start rattling off, "the socks go in the front, your shirt and underwear goes in the middle and your dress goes in the back." Or something to that effect.

But last night, finally, finally, finally, she says, "OOOOOOOOH! I get it! The front is for white colors, the middle is for light colors and the back is for dark colors." And like that, viola! That little brain of hers finally clicked.

Tom is a whole other monster because he doesn't actually care where I want him to put his clothes. He pretty much insists on putting them where he thinks they belong. As in, he insists that red is a light color and belongs in the middle bag. *sigh*

2 comments:

The Mantha Family said...

Yeah Abby! She will make a great little laundry helper! Sorry your washer is broken - I don't think I'd last long without our washer.

Carrie said...

Oh I understand having a broken washer. I have not had very good luck with washer and dryers.