Saturday, November 07, 2009

New Goal: A Mile a Day

I've been running about twice a week since I last blogged 3 weeks ago. I have been meaning to get in 3 runs a week, but I'm not sure that happened. I just want to be sure to keep up with my running for my lungs and for my legs. Since I had so much trouble with my knees and hips over the summer, I'd hate to be back at square one after all my hard work. So far so good! I have had no knee or hip pain since my race on October 4.

Today I set out to improve my 1 mile time. I did a run/walk combo. And by run, I mean faster than my jog. I was going to alternate running and walking every 30 seconds but the first minute flew by so fast and painlessly I decided to alternate every 60 second instead. Well sometime down the line I got super duper out of breath and nauseous. But I kept pressing on.

I tried to run only 30 seconds and walk for 30, but that wasn't enough time to recover, so I walked for 60 seconds. Somehow by the end of my run I was running 30 seconds and walking 90 seconds. It was just so hard! I was kinda seeing spots and i was pretty dizzy. I'm wondering if maybe my oxygen saturation cannot keep up with these sprints as well as my jogs even though I was wearing my oxygen tank. I'll have to bring my pulse ox with me next time.

I ended up with a 1 mile time of 12 minutes and 47 seconds. That's my fastest mile thus far! But I'm not sure I want to repeat it with that much enthusiasm tomorrow.

Since I'm going shorter distances (less than 2 miles) I am going to check to see if my body can handle running every morning.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

MamaLlama said...

Make sure you are not dehydrated. Don't drink too much just before running but a couple hours before make sure you have enough hydration. Maybe that had something to do with the nauseous feeling also.

Tamiko said...

Tara! Awesome job. Keep up the good work. I am mostly just running on a treadmill, and I'm keeping a 12 minute mile pace. I started off walking for 2 minutes, and then tried the 12 minute mile pace to see how long I could go for. My longest stretch is 40 minutes without walking, but covered 3.5 miles! Farthest run is 4.5 miles, but took 55 minutes.

Just think of how far you've come from the beginning. Don't be discouraged!