Thursday, October 29, 2009

Oh No You Di'int!

This morning I sent the twins to school as usual. They have a very unique sense of style, or lack there of. Today they had sweat bands on their wrists and ankles. This is in addition to Abby wearing her Easter dress over some pants, with long sleeves underneath. Well, Tom decided last night he really wanted to wear clip on earrings to school. He was hesitant because it is jewelry and there is a no jewelry policy in their kindergarten class, but I insisted that it was ok because there are girls in their class that wear earrings every single day, even dangly earrings! I did talk him away from the dangly clip on earrings and encouraged him to wear the stickers instead.

When I picked him up from school the first thing I noticed was that he didn't have his earrings on. I asked him if his earrings fell off and he almost teared up and didn't say anything. I asked again, what happened to his earrings and again, silence. As we got closer to home I started guessing, "Did your teacher make you take your earrings off?" He said yes. Then Abby dictated exactly what happened.

She said, the teacher said, "Tom, are those stickers on your ears?" When Tom said yes, she said, "Take them off and put them in your backpack."

Now, had she made every single child in the class remove their earrings, I would have no problem. But why my kid? Is it because he's a boy? Is it because they're stickers? What would have happened if Abby had worn them? If sticker earrings can be interpreted as contraband jewelry, why weren't the sweat bands considered contraband as bracelets? Or the watch they have worn on several occasions? Something just doesn't seem fair here.

Believe me, I sent the teacher an email the instant I got home. I'm waiting to hear back. I would totally understand if there was a no earring policy, but there's not. I'm just so sad for Tom. He really was and is heartbroken.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Poor guy! I hope that you get a good response from the teacher and it gets worked out!

Chipmunk Chatter said...

Poor Tom...you will have to post what the teacher responded back. I think you are going to have to have a face to face talk with her.

The Mantha Family said...

Oh no - poor Tom. I'm sorry to hear that.