Monday, August 17, 2009

Kindergarten Letter

Dear Tom and Abby,

You're still sleeping on this morning, Monday, August 17, 2009. Although you know what is going to happen, I'm not quite sure you grasp the gravity of the situation. You're going to start Kindergarten today and your life as you know it will be changed forever. My life, as I know it will be changed forever.

I no longer have 5 days a week while Daddy is at work to entertain you. Sure, Kindergarten is only a half day (10:49AM - 2:20PM) but let's face it, these morning's will fly by since you've been staying up later (almost 9PM) on a regular basis and sleeping in later (almost 9AM) also on a regular basis. Daddy gets home around 4:30 every weekday, so we'll have only 2 hours together, alone, in the afternoon, to hang out and probably do homework.

Yes, your life is changing. You are becoming a student, whether you like it or not. I'm oddly looking forward to having some time to myself while you're away learning, but I'm also going to miss you. You are my world. Preschool may have prepped you for this day, but Kindergarten is a bit longer as well as far more frequent than Preschool was. (5 days a week!)

I've been looking forward to this day for quite some time. I'm oddly excited to send you off to Kindergarten because I want you to keep growing and learning as the little bright people that you are. I'm a little frightened too because someday soon, you're going to figure out that Mom isn't the smartest person on the planet and I will no longer be your entire world. You will have friends and priorities and sleepovers and parties. But that's ok because it's a big world out there and you're going to thrive in it. I promise.

I want you to enjoy being a student. After all, you sure are going to have lots of practice at it! You're only 4 years old now, and we hope to see you graduate college, when you're 22, or 23... or 24, or whatever. Right now you are excited to start Kindergarten and you already seem to adore your teacher, Ms Whitt, whom you met on Saturday for a few minutes at the school's pancake breakfast.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm ready to cry and I still have one more year to prepare for this day! :-) I hope they have a fabulous day (and year!). And I'll look for your support and knowledge next year when the boys start Kindergarten!!

Chipmunk Chatter said...

Good luck in kindergarten Tom & Abby! Do they start today?

Tamiko said...

Tara, that letter is so sweet! I can't believe your babies are in kindergarten! Hope they are loving it and I wish I had a mom like you in my classroom! :)

The Mantha Family said...

OK, I cried. That was really sweet Tara. I have been thinking about missing Ashley when she is at preschool (for 2 hours a day 2 days a week) - that is much more time!