Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Worst Mom Ever!

So I totally left my child hanging at the park today. Literally, hanging.

The twins had their last preschool party at a local park today. It's a brand new park with different climbing structures. When we first arrived I showed Tom how he could climb up this rope and sit on the "seat" they had half way up the rope. He immediately clung to me and asked to get off.

Awhile later I took Abby to the swings, then sat with her while she played in the water. I don't know how long I wasn't watching Tom, probably a good 10 minutes. We knew most of the people at the park because it was mostly all folks from the preschool so I didn't feel like I had to watch the twins' every move. Well all of the sudden I find Tom and he's sitting on that rope structure. His back is to me and when I came upon him he turned and his eyes were welled up with tears.

How terrible I felt! I don't know how long he was sitting there, stuck, to scared to climb down. One of the other moms said she saw him there for awhile but didn't realize he was stuck or sad. He said he called for me at first but I didn't hear him. Oh, I feel awful just writing about it! I think he clung to me for a good 10 minutes as we just sat on the bench. He eventually got over it and enjoyed the rest of the party.

7 comments:

PxT said...

Face your fears, kid!

CysticCysterAmy said...

awe poor Tom!!!!!!!!!!

You're not a bad mom!!!!!! I won't tell child services on you :)

The Mantha Family said...

If that's the worst thing you did all day, you're in great shape.

Andrea said...

A similar thing happened with Brayden last year. The park had a climbing wall with 2 sides. The boys were climbing up and down just fine - so no big deal. Well, a little while later I hear this high pitched scream. I thought "That sounds like Brayden" but it was so far off sounding. I didn't see him so went looking. I found him on the other side of the climbing wall, at the very top, clinging on for dear life! Not sure how long he was there - but boy did I feel bad! Guess we all do it, huh? :-)

CowTown said...

Ooooooh baby. How sad but sweet.

Chipmunk Chatter said...

At least you didn't drop him on his infant head. :) I also won't tell CPS on you. :)

Mommyoftwinsnyc said...

That is so sad! Poor Tom. : (
But that story doesn't qualify you to win the award for "worst mommy ever"..