Sunday, May 24, 2009

Date Night!

Last night Paul and I celebrated our (belated) 8th wedding anniversary with the best man from our wedding, John, and his wonderful wife, Fran. First we hit up our local Mandango's, which is a casual bar/night club and the drinks were good! Fran and I being the lightweights that we are barely finished half our Sex on the Beach. The boys had no problem pulling down the pints of beer they ordered though. If only we had another hour to finish our drinks. I surely didn't want to show up to our formal dinner drunk, which is why I took it slow. I drink like twice a year these days, so this was a big deal!

We got to Boulevard Bistro just in time for our reservation. They seated us right away and I have to say, what a cute restaurant! It's a renovated 1908 bungalow in Old Town Elk Grove and it is adorable! The whole restaurant probably seats up to 30 guests at the most. The menu is fairly limited to the most premium of meals, California Cuisine, but there is definitely something for everyone!

We started off with appetizers and/or salad and found out I'm not an arugula fan. I was hoping it was more like lettuce or spinach salad, but it was quite bitter. I tried to eat some to be polite, but even when the waitress took the half full plate away she said something about it being to big for me. *embarrassed!* I guess the food there is sooo good they're not used to taking half eaten dishes back to the kitchen. The dressing was good, the nuts and dried cranberries were great, but I just couldn't get past that darn arugula!

So, on to the entree's. I saw lamb on the menu and though, this was my dad's all time favorite dish it had been many many years since I had rack of lamb. I just HAVE to try it. I was NOT disappointed. It's supposedly a super fatty meat too, so I made sure to take lots of enzymes! The sauce they drizzled on the plate was super yum and I didn't mind the yukon mashed and green beans either. The only thing left on that plate were the bones leftover from the rack of lamb!

After such a good meal, I wasn't sure I could squeeze in dessert but they had chocolate decadence drizzled with caramel sauce and topped with whipped cream and fresh berries! ! I had to go for it. I'm glad I did, it was divine! Overall the restaurant was great. They kept our drinks full and everyone there was so nice and polite. The only thing we didn't get to do was take a tour of the kitchen. John really wanted to see that kitchen!

When we got home it was 8PM and the twins were already in their room. They were expecting us to come in and say goodnight so of course I did. They gave me the biggest hugs and kisses! Guess they missed mom and dad while we were gone for 3 hours. I know they had fun with Oma and Papa though. I heard all about it! They are such creatures of habit though. They had Oma and Papa running in circles trying to do the bedtime routine exactly how we do it at home every night.

4 comments:

MamaLlama said...

Glad you all enjoyed the big night out. I think I first tasted arugula in Scotland at the Marine Hotel. They called it rocket lettuce there. I enjoyed it then but after buying some here I could not eat as much as I thought I would.

Tamiko said...

I am glad you had a great date night. You deserve a night of being spoiled and having fun with adult company! Happy Belated Anniversary!

CowTown said...

Happy Anniversary Tara!

I agree, arugula is way bitter. I'm undecided about it still after having it for the first time last month.

The Mantha Family said...

That sounds like a wonderful Anniversary celebration. I could go for some of your chocolate dessert!