Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Big Prizes and Little Prizes

I feel that I haven't updated much in awhile. The queen of blogging in a blogging slump? Say it 'ain't so!

Saturday Paul, Tom, Abby, Jean, Allan and I walked... in the rain... for miles (unsure of the distance) for Cystic Fibrosis. The twins didn't walk this year, they insisted on riding their bikes! They enjoyed the route from the State Capital down through Old Town Sacramento and it's "hobblestone" streets. Tom pronounces cobblestones as hobblestones and every time he says it, I'm too busy giggling to correct him.



It's not too late to support Cystic Fibrosis! Just print that page and mail us your donation. We really want to keep this research going at UC Davis until they can land a super duper huge grant. The research they are doing is really cutting edge gene therapy that will hopefully lead to a cure for CF down the road.

Today I took Abby to a psychology lab at UC Davis. At Picnic Day I signed both twins up for research studies, with no obligation to actually do the research of course. So today Abby got to go into a computer lab and answer questions. As I understand it they were asking questions about identifying pictures on a computer screen, except some (or many) of the pixels were missing. During parts of the interview Abby was forced to choose an answer, right or wrong and during the second half, there was an "I don't know" button. The whole interview lasted about 25 minutes.

Tom was severely jealous. In fact as we were leaving he was in tears. Abby has two more sessions, so I'm not sure how that's going to go! Abby gets a prize and Tom does not. Abby gets special attention and Tom does not. They just didn't need 4 year old boys in this particular study. So it was a rough morning, but he didn't through absolute fits in public, which was nice. And everything got smoothed over with a McDonald's Happy Meal for lunch.

Abby even got to pick out a big prize from the big prize box. She said there was a little prize box where she would have been forced to choose from if she got any wrong answers. I think the point of the little prize box was just motivation for doing their best because I know she didn't answer all the questions correctly. I laughed when she told me about the little prizes because there were just two. A plain paper clip and a plain pencil eraser. She had no idea why I was laughing. I thought it was too funny. Like they would ever send any of the kids out of there, "Good job kid! You earned a .... paperclip!" So she felt really really special to get to choose a big prize! She picked a headband and she's all excited to wear it to school tomorrow.

Speaking of school, I wrote my LAST tuition check yesterday! We already paid for June, so today is a day of all celebrations. Cinco De Mayo and no more tuition! ... until the twins are 17 and off to college.

2 comments:

Chipmunk Chatter said...

I signed Hannah up for a study on campus too...we are going next week. :)

The Mantha Family said...

Yeah for no more tuition - awesome!