Monday, April 06, 2009

My Good Side

The twins were unusually unruly today at lunch. First they didn't want to go to lunch at all. I told them we were going downtown to meet Jenny for some orange rice and Tom just says, "Well, that doesn't sound like very much fun. We have to go to a playground!" I explained to him that this restaurant didn't have a playground and if he was really good he could have Pez Candy for dessert.

So off to lunch we went, arriving 10 minutes late of course because I completely mis-judged how long it would take me to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on my way out the door. So we get to the restaurant and I'm all excited because it's supposed to be authentic mexican food, which is my current obsession. First the waitress didn't quite understand that we needed 4 chairs for 4 people, as she tried to seat us at a table for two. I guess Jenny and I could have each held a 4 year old on our lap?

We ended up at a booth in the corner of the restaurant which was probably for the best since Tom's volume control is currently broken. He was so loud! And the mess! Just like his mama, he has this thing about salt. So he salted an entire bowl of tortilla chips, one by one, as he ate them. As you can imagine, the salt got everywhere.

As I was leaving the restaurant and Jenny left I was tapped on the shoulder by an old high school friend. It took me a half a second to realize who he was. Well Tom and Abby seized this opportunity to walk down the street. So embarrassingly, in my best trailer park voice, I yelled, "Hey! You guys! Come back here!" Of course this was right in front of the patio diners of the restaurant too. This high school friend that I hadn't seen in 15 years didn't seem to mind, although I'm sure I know what he was thinking, why can't this chick control her children? So he went on to say he's got two little guys of his own. Half my brain is trying to stay in the conversation, but the other half is watching Tom and Abby on a busy city street, hoping they don't run out into traffic as they are halfway down the block already.

I tell you. Sometimes, I just have my whole act together! What a day.

1 comment:

whatsherface said...

Okay, I would LOVE to find an authentic, yummy Mexican restaurant. Maybe we could add that to our list of things to do when we get together next!!