Monday, March 30, 2009

J.A. Linehan Jr.

Jeremiah Aloyisius Linehan Jr.
September 13, 1943-March 30, 1999



June 1994 My High School Graduation


10 years ago today is the day my dad died of a sudden fatal heart attack at work. He was 54 years old. My dad was generous, extremely friendly (you wonder where I get it???) and very patient. He didn't have a glamorous job, as a truck driver that delivered prescription meds to pharmacies in Northern California, but I never once heard him complain about the long hours. He always left the house before 6AM and got home around 6PM. He never failed to make that phone call on his way home from work after he'd returned his work truck. Since this was the day before cell phones, I'm now amazed that he took the time to stop and call, to let us know he made it through another work day and he'd be home for dinner. I often looked forward to picking up that call.

I think about him everyday and I know he would have loved to be the twins' Grandpa! I talk about him from time to time. I think I may have told this story before, and I always get a chuckle out of it because this is truly a 3-4 year old brain at work.

Tom is especially interested in my dad. Often, he asks me if I had a dad, even though he knows the answer. I tell him that his middle name, Jeremiah, comes from my dad and what a nice dad he was! He did have a great sense of humor and I can only think that he finds this funny as well. One day Tom was asking me about my dad and when we went over the same facts, that my dad was dead, he says, "Extinct like the dinosaurs?" Um yeah... sorta.

I still can't believe it's been 10 years. I still remember my last phone call with him and the last time I hugged him goodbye as I drove back to my little life in college, 30 miles away. I miss him everyday and I have no doubt he is proud of me, my family, my mom and my siblings.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Hugs to your Tara!

Courtney said...

Aww Hugs to you Tara, this brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure your dad is very proud of you!

MamaLlama said...

Well thought it was quite amazing that I would make it through this anniversary without a tear shed visiting cemetery with flowers today. Less than 2 hours left and seeing your picture together however brought out the waterworks but that is okay.

Andrea said...

What a nice story Tara - and it sounds like you have great memories of your dad. Thanks for sharing those memories with us. Hugs!

Layne said...

What a lovely post. It made me tear up. Maybe your dad and my dad are fishing together in Heaven :)

Anonymous said...

Tara, your note about your dad reminds me so much of my dad. He too left us way too early in life. I posted to you on the list, but hadn't heard anything - I was checking here to see if you are doing ok. Miss you!
Pam & Hunter

The Mantha Family said...

That was a very nice post. I'm sure your dad would be very proud of you and your family.