Saturday, December 06, 2008

Orange please!

Tom asked me a very interesting question on Monday. He asked, "Mom, have I ever had an orange?" Of course he's had an orange, but just like everything else in this world he stopped eating them about 2.5 years ago. I mean, it's rough being the pickiest kid on the planet. There's no variety in your diet! He eats three fruits. Bananas, apples and strawberries. And right now, strawberries, if I can find them, are $5 a pound in the grocery store. Double what they cost during the summer months, so I only spoil him with them a couple times a month.

Again on Tuesday he asked the same question, "Mom, have I ever eaten and orange?" Again, my answer, "of course you've had an orange, but it was a long long time ago." Then he said he wanted to try one, right then! Well that posed a problem because it was nap time and there were no oranges in the house. I promised him I would call daddy and have him pick up an orange and he can have it after his nap.

Well I'm the worst mother in the world because I forgot to have Paul pick up the orange. A couple more days pass and Thursday night after dinner he asks again, "Mom? Have I ever eaten an orange?" Again, same answer. This time I promise to pick one up while he's in preschool on Friday morning. And I did! Actually I bought two! I was feeling optimistic that he was going to fall in love with oranges.

After Tom woke up from his nap on Friday afternoon I told him I had two oranges for him. His eyes sparkled. I mean, just like I had told him he won a million dollars sparkle. Then he got all excited and said he'd eat one orange now and one after dinner. Perfect! Paul peeled the orange quickly in the kitchen and I ran to get the camera just as Tom was sitting down to eat. I practically tripped on my way to the kitchen because I wanted to be there to film the experience. I'm not sure I can do it justice, so I'll just post the video here and you can tell me what you think. Do we have an orange lover in the house?

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I don't like eating peeled oranges either! I prefer them sliced into wedges so I don't taste that skin/membrane stuff first. Bleh! Maybe Tom can come over and try eating oranges with me. :)

Carrie said...

That is pretty cute!!! I am not an orange fan either.

Courtney said...

OMG that is to cute! You can tell he put a lot of thought into trying it, then if he liked it. So cute!

Chipmunk Chatter said...

That was awesome! Kodoos to him for trying.

The Mantha Family said...

That is adorable - he likes them juicier!

Layne said...

Oh my! Your kids are adorable!!!!