Thursday, December 11, 2008

New Haircut

Tom was way way way overdue for a haircut, but I've been to lazy to take him to the salon lately.



This picture is from Thanksgiving, so you can imagine how much more unmanageable his hair has gotten in two more weeks.

This morning I thought we'd hit the salon and then go where else, but Target. (we had to buy christmas gifts for Daddy!) Tom poo poo'd the idea of going to the salon. Well boo. Ok, I'll clip his hair with the less than fancy electric clippers we have here. Well he poo poo'd that idea too! He said he'd sit for me, but I had to use scissors. This will be new!

So I armed myself with a comb and some scissors and went to work. It only took 30 minutes and he did pretty fabulous, except when he'd duck his head real fast as I'm in mid cut. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either. I actually think the camera makes it look better than it is.



He made me take the picture with Fergus the engine in it.

So... about our trip to Target. I thought the kids would be into it because they told me what they wanted to buy. All we had to do was pick it out. We were there less than 30 minutes and let me tell you, I was one of "those" moms with the uncontrollable children. They were loud and running everywhere. Ok, they weren't that loud and they weren't really running, more like trotting but it was really annoying. I couldn't for the life of me control them. Who are these kids? They see racks of electronics, clothes, toys, food... whatever and they go berserk running up and down the aisles like it's an amusement park. I sat down and talked to them once while we were there and that didn't do any good at all.

And then get this! As we were walking to the car they start giggling uncontrollably. They say, "We put something in your pocket from Target!" Oh... My... God. What????!!! Now I have shoplifters? It turns out they had found little plastic tags from the tops of the hangers, you know the bits that tell you what size is hanging on that hanger? Yeah, those are the items they stuffed in my jacket pocket. At least I didn't have to return to the store for that!

On the way home I expressed my severe disappointment in how they acted in the store. I told them if they can't behave we won't be doing any of the fun things THEY want to do sometimes. Tom got real quiet. A few minutes later he says, "no more playdates?" Poor kid. Guess I scared him. Then he says, "I'm sorry mom. But you didn't tell us what we had to do before we got to Target." And he's right. Usually I explain what we need to do when we go somewhere. Like details about holding hands or walking next to the cart etc. Tom's all about instruction and direction and I think he loses focus if he's not following some type of direct order. Anyway, now I know for next time... if there is a next time.

No comments: