Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Kindergarten Here We Come!

Thanks to my wonderful wonderful husband the twins have excellent priority in Kindergarten registration. He got to the school at 6:30 this morning and stood in line for an hour. He was 9th in line so I believe he got packets 9 and 10. The school has the capability to enroll 160 Kindergarteners, so number 9 and 10 isn't too shabby!

What does good priority get you these days?

Well first and most importantly it gives us pretty much the pick of which kindergarten class we want. In this year round system, there are 4 tracks and two of them are more desirable than the other two. I have my heart set on Track A, which is "most" traditional. Track A starts in August with breaks for the month of November and March and ends in May. And there are AM and PM classes. I'm hoping to get into the PM class that starts at 10:45 in the morning. I have 12 more years to rush them out the door before 8AM so why start in Kindergarten? After all, I have nowhere else to be!

In addition to getting the Kindergarten placement we would like, these priority numbers stick with the twins throughout their career at this school through sixth grade. For example, in the third grade if for some reason the school has to boot some kids out of class and move them to a different track then those kids with lower priority (a higher number from four years earlier) would have to change tracks. Hopefully that won't be us! It happened to the twins' preschool teacher's kids.

That's about it as far as I know. I'm anxious to fill the paperwork out and turn it all in. I can't believe my babies are going to Kindergarten in less than a year!

I'm glad we're not at a super crowded school. There's one school here in Elk grove that only enrolls 100 Kindergarteners, which is way less than the number of Kindergarteners in that boundary. One of the twins' preschool buddies is in that school next year and her mom had to camp out last night at 6PM! So they waited 14 hours to get the number 8 spot in line. Craziness. I have no idea why all this is so competitive and complicated, but that is the world we live in here in California.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I spent like 12 hours waiting in line with my sister when she was registering my nephew for kindergarten, she was number 8 in line, only to find out that he was missing one of his shots so we wasted 12 hours of waiting. Luckily tho when everything was done it all worked out how we hoped =)

The Mantha Family said...

Oh wow - that is pretty wild! I didn't realize it was so hard to get the class you want. Congrats on your wonderful priority numbers! Yeah Paul!