Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Decoration Bees

Tom has this little chair in the living. He likes to use it when he's drawing or pretending to read books. I noticed today he had moved it.



I asked him why he moved his chair.

Because I didn't want to be near the fireplace.

Oh? Why's that?

Because I wasn't sure if the bees inside were real or decoration bees.

So it's true, I have these dead bees in my fireplace. I've actually discovered they are not bees they are wasps or something. If I hadn't used my fireplace in July, yes, JULY like middle of the summer JULY, I wouldn't have dead bees in my fireplace.

What happened was, the month after I moved here (two and a half years ago) I had a friend visiting. I was showing her around the place and I got all excited to show her my fake fireplace. It even gives off a good deal of heat we learned. We settled into the living room and started to talk. I flipped the switch and poof! There goes my fake fire place all warm and toasty in JULY! We talked some more, started to get hot and turned it off. Then I noticed them. The bees! (or wasps, or whatever)

Apparently they had been making a home way up in my flue so when I turned the fireplace on, the heat killed them and down they came! I immediately called pest control and had the guy at Clark busting a gut on the other end of the phone, first because I was so frightened and second because I was using my fireplace in JULY! So now There are six or seven bee carcasses clearly visible in the fireplace window as they have been for 2.5 years. I don't know how to open the front of the fireplace to clean them out, so there they sit.



From now on I'm going to tell people they are my decoration bees.

2 comments:

MamaLlama said...

That is too funny. Tom is so interested in the insect facts in books we have read but does not want to be too close to the real thing. I thought you were going to tell me that he was making room for the Christmas tree.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! "Decoration bees"- so y'all have had the "that's decorations..." discussions a bit too? lol. I thought he was moving it closer to the Christmas tree, and then I thought he was moving it so Santa had more room to get down the chimney...you two definitely got me on that one! :P

&ee