Monday, December 22, 2008

Bizarre Bedtime

Last night was weird! There is no other way to put it. It was just weird!

So the Morrills came over to exchange Christmas presents (yes Nicole is still pregnant). Tom was thrilled, beyond thrilled to get a Duplo Lightning McQueen Lego set. He was rubbing his hands together, screeching with joy. I think coupled with the fact that it was now bedtime is what brought on the weirdest night we've had in a long long time.

It all started with a conversation on the potty. I was telling Tom not to come out of his room in the morning until his watch was on the seven. I even joked saying "or eight... or nine." He doesn't quite understand how to tell time but I was pretty sure he understood the concept of the big hand and the little hand.

Well 9:30 PM rolls around and Paul came into our room to tell me he just had to put the twins to bed, AGAIN! He said they had their light on and they were playing in their room. For the last year lights out has been at 7:30. Then they have "talking time" where they are not allowed to play with toys but they can talk to each other in the dark. At 8:30 (when "the big hand is on the six" as far as the twins are concerned) it is last call for potty time. After potty time it is no more talking time and the twins are quiet and fall right asleep.

But for some reason last night the excitement of having new toys and my comment about waking up on the 8 or 9 confused Tom. He swore up and down he fell asleep and woke up and now, at 9:30 PM it was morning and he could play because "mom said I could wake up whenever I wanted to." Dad told them it was still nighttime, put the toys down and go back to sleep.

Well another hour goes by, Paul is snoring in the bed next to me and I swear I hear the twins' light go on again. (it's kinda loud the way Tom does it) But I thought, nah, it can't be. And I rolled over and tried to sleep. Well an hour goes by and I hear talking. They were totally awake! I was so confused! I woke Paul up and asked him to check it out for me. Sure enough, lights are on they are up and playing with a boat load of toys all over the place! Tom's excuse this time was "my watch was on the seven!" So I can't be certain, but I think I did hear the light go on at 10:35 and they had been playing for an HOUR in the middle of the night! They have NEVER done this before. What a weird night!

4 comments:

whatsherface said...

And so the rebellion begins, LOL

Good luck!!

Chipmunk Chatter said...

Sorry, I really hope my gift had nothing to do with that fun night. By the way after about 2 months Hannah has finally figured out that she can get out of bed on her own...I was shocked! I will have to blog about that. :)

Carrie said...

Merry Christmas!! Thank you for your gift of friendship and support.

The Mantha Family said...

That's so funny! I think you need to draw a picture of what the clock should look like when they wake up so they'll know.