Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Canal's Been Rooted

Today I finally got off my butt and made the dreaded call... to the dentist! I've had a toothache for a couple of months and after some round the clock motrin and tylenol I've finally given up and gone to the dentist.

I made the phone call around 9AM this morning. Much to my surprise they could fit me in at 2PM today! What luck! I won't even have to lose any sleep about the upcoming root canal... I knew I was going to need one.

My casual conversation with the front desk went a little something like this:

Me: "I'm actually really nervous about this."

Reception: "Oh yeah, me too."

Me: "Excuse me?"

Reception: "I freak out about going to the dentist."

Me: "Sorry?"

Reception: "Well I have a problem staying numb so I really hate getting work done."

Me: "Have you ever had a root canal?"

Reception: "Oh yeah. It wasn't....." (seemingly reluctant she continues) "as bad as they say."

Well I don't know who "they" are, but I took the appointment and "they" were WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. It was bad. It did hurt. The dentist went into my mouth with a needle the size of the empire state building no less than five times. And each time he poked around in several spots. The shots were actually the least of my worry. It was the drilling, oh the drilling! The first three shots were routine. He likes to numb in stages. Fine with me. I'm a delicate little flower anyway. But the fourth and fifth shots were simply because I practically jumped out of the chair crying in pain. Oh yeah, make no mistake, I was miserable. There were tears. It was awful.

The good news is, once he "released" the root pressure, the pain was gone. He could have stayed there all day with a jack hammer in my mouth for all I cared at that point. Hey, once you're actually numb, it's easy peasy.

Today wasn't the end of my dental adventures though. I guess he just went in there, scoped it out and then plugged it up to let the tooth de-aggravate for the week. I go back next Thursday for the actual root canal. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I really do wish you luck! I've never had a root canal but I did have my gums grafted last spring. The infamous "they" kept saying it feels like a pizza burn on the top of your mouth. I can't even explain how WRONG that description was!! I sure hope your 2nd part is pain-free, or at least a little less painful.

Sharon said...

awwww, you poor thing ! I've had 3 of them myself, the pain is so worth it all, I would much rather save a tooth then lose it, you did good, don't worry, the worst is over and behind ya ! Sharon

Chipmunk Chatter said...

Sorry Tara...that sounds horrible...hope next week goes better.

whatsherface said...

eee-gads! *bites nails whilst thinking about what her own tooth woes might be like*

I'm sorry you had such a miserable experience - it's sounds just awful. But like Sharon said, all I've ever heard from people who've had them is that it was sooo worth it. Hope it pays off for you, too!

The Mantha Family said...

Ouch!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I don't like going to the dentist, I'm such a coward about it.