Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pretty as a Witch

Yesterday I bought my son a dress. Yup, that's right a DRESS!

A few weeks ago we started talking about halloween. I asked the twins what they wanted to be for halloween. Their decision: A witch. Each of them wants to be a "girl witch." Only when they say it, it sounds like "Grrr witch." And Tom doesn't want to be just any girl witch, but a blue girl witch.

I tried so hard to talk Tom into something a little more masculine. We looked around online at pictures of warlocks and wizards. I explained to him that boy witches wear cloaks. He was not interested in the least.

Yesterday when I dropped the twins off at preschool I asked their teacher if it's against school policy for boys to wear dresses, specifically on halloween. She said, "No! Let him wear a dress this year. At least this year no one will make fun of him, but you might have issues come Kindergarten." So I hit up the finest costume department Wal Mart had to offer and found the perfect witch costume for both kids. Tom's is blue, his new favorite color. And Abby's has some purple, one of her favorites too!

After preschool I told Tom that I had a blue witch costume for him. I was trying to bribe him to sit down quickly in his car seat after class. He asked if I had it with me, and although I did, I lied and told him it was at home. (more bribery) So we get home and he goes flying into the house. I hear him banging around his closet, then, "Moooooooom! Come quick! Help me!" He had taken the "dress up bin" down from a closet shelf and was tearing through it looking for his costume. The same costume that was actually in the trunk of my car. After some quick apologizing for fooling him, he finally got his first look at his very own first dress. They were so excited to wear their costumes they wore them last night and again today.

6 comments:

courtney said...

LOL that is so funny. This is a specially good story to tell when he's older haha. When my nephew was younger there was one dress of his sisters that he liked wearing when they played dress up.

Andrea said...

This is great! I had a nice little chuckle at how cute the kids were in their costumes!! I guess I lucked out when Brayden, also obsessed with blue, wanted to be a blue camera!! And then he convinced Ryan to be a red camera! At least you could buy your costumes at the store! LOL!

Chipmunk Chatter said...

Too funny Tara! On the flip side at the Morrill residence Hannah is going to be a fire truck...and she has been wearing her costume non-stop since I picked it up last night too. :)

Layne said...

I love the photo! I found your blog through CF2Chat.com and I am glad I did. You guys are adorable!

Tamiko said...

I LOVE it! He is absolutely beaming in his blue dress! Thanks for sharing that story...

The Mantha Family said...

Right on Tom! He makes a beautiful witch!