Monday, August 25, 2008

Say What?

Can you hear me now?

I had my ears washed this morning. Last week at the doctor's office they looked in my ears and scolded me for using Q-tips. To be honest, I don't even use them that often, but every once in awhile it feels soooo good. Well apparently no one is ever meant to use Q-tips... EVER! So why do they sell them?

I asked the nurse if this little washing procedure would hurt and she said no. She was mostly right. Basically they use an ear size water pik to squirt water and peroxide in and eventually all the wax falls out. I told the nurse while she was water piking my ears that it made my eyes water and then she looked at me like I was crazy. I'm like yeah, definitely water, coming OUT of my eye! I think the force of the pik just made my eyes water, but nonetheless there were tears.

After repeatedly washing my ears she seems satisfied and then goes digging with some plastic white instrument. She comes up with this itty bitty teeny tiny bit of skin or wax or something. I can't even describe to you how small it was. After she scared me initially with the horror stories about these huge balls of wax falling out of people's ears I was glad to see that itty bitty bit.

About 20 minutes later she was done. I haven no idea how much money this adventure cost me. I may have to end up selling one of my kidneys. No one asked me for money, so I just left. It was a strange experience and I'm not sure I'd do it again. Not to mention the water in the ear feeling. When I was eating lunch and chewing my food I could hear this rebounding sound, like a rubber band being snapped continuously in my ear from all the residual water that must be left inside. Good times I tell you!

6 comments:

Tina said...

That sounds like a great time.
I only know of one q-tip horror story, not even RN related. As a teenager my friends brother was digging in his ear standing in the bathroom with the door open, his mother yelled something, he turned and caught the door jam with his bent elbow of his q-tip wielding appendage. He punctured his eardrum, it healed up pretty quickly but the immediate pain was excruciating!
Of course it never stopped me from using them!

The Mantha Family said...

Oh yuck! I had to have that done once - I don't like people touching my ears at all - I passed out. And they didn't get much wax out, so I felt like it was pretty pointless. Glad you survived yours without fainting!

Jennifer said...

I've had that, and suctioning done. Gross! But I'm surprised she looked at you like you were crazy, it made my eyes water like crazy too!

Carrie said...

Glad you made it though okay. Sounds unpleasant. Have you tried ear wax candle treatments? We have friends that swear by them. I would be afraid of catching my hair on fire.

PxT said...

Replying to the previous comment: ear candling has not been proven to have any measurable effect, and quite the contrary it can be dangerous (melted wax adhered to the ear drum is said to be excruciating). If you want to set your head on fire there are easier ways to do it.

PxT said...

Now replying to the original post: I still don't see what the big deal is. Ear wax is a natural substance. Unless it's affecting your hearing or is oozing out onto your collar or something, why bother?