Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tantrum

Today I had one of THOSE moments. The type of moment that makes you want to disappear.

The Public Tantrum.

Both Tom and Abby were awesome this morning. We made it, on time to swim lessons. I dropped them off poolside and watched from afar. They waved and blew bubbles. It seemed like a happy morning. Then it was time to exit the pool. Abby is still a little unsure of the process which involves adult size ladders and handle bars.

First Tom climbed out. I took him about 10 steps away to wrap him in a towel. Well in that amount of time Abby went ballistic. A little girl cut in front of her in line, which didn't help. But she also lost me in the crowd and wanted mom and only mom to pull her out of the pool. So when Miss Katie, her beloved swim teacher, picked her up and put her on the pool deck Abby went nuts. Screaming, screeching, crying, convulsing all the while trying to catapult herself back into the pool so I could lift her out. Poor Miss Katie just looked at me and says, "I think she's tired." I calmly wrapped Abby in a towel and carried her, screaming, crying and kicking all the way into the locker room, which by the way has great acoustics for such tantrums.

I'm really looking forward to returning tomorrow....

3 comments:

sixtytwodays said...

Don't know if this makes you feel better or not, but my 5 year old did something similar at the pool today too. We were in the dressing room, exiting after lessons to go out, pay, and go back in for open swim (A really dubm process when you have two little ones in tow...). Anyway, Em had to go potty so I told Isabelle to wait on a dressing room bench. SHe did, but i n 30 seconds she started to Sob! She apparently forgot that I was in the bathroom with Emily and thought I left without her. My neighbor was right there with her, but the crying ensued, anyway.

We pulled it together enough to enjoy a nice afternoon swim, no more tantrums.

I'm impressed that you were able to react calmly. I get a little nutso with tantrums sometimes, which doesn't help.

Ah well, every parent has been there. Just keep telling yourself that.

Mark & Julie said...

Mine have just started this lovely behavior, gotta love being a parent don't you? Sorry to hear she gave you such a hard time.

about the carseat- LOL, I know! Mine aren't even a year in the boulevard and I'm drooling over this one too. It would be the last seat we'd EVER need to purchase. Let me know if you get it and how you like it!!!

The Mantha Family said...

Oh no - poor Abby! She must have been having an off day. I hate those off days!