Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Picky Eaters

I was watching a re-run on Oprah yesterday. Oprah had Jessica Seinfeld on her show and they were talking about hiding vegetables inside meals for kids. Jessica sits down every Sunday evening and puree's her vegetables for the week. Then when she cooks meals and treats for the kids she adds these color matching puree's. For example, cauliflower inside mashed potatoes. Spinach on chicken fingers, whole chickpeas inside oatmeal raisin cookies, and she can hide basically any vegetable of any color inside her rich chocolate brownies.

That's all great in theory but Jessica hasn't met my son. Mac N Cheese, forget it. Chicken nuggets, no way! Casserole, are you out of your mind? PB&J, now you've gone off the deep end!

This kid literally eats three things. Whole wheat toast, (must be in the shape of the favorite animal of the day) steamed rice and anything from a package. (can you say carb overload?) He has added three fruits to his repertoire: apples, bananas and strawberries. He has to choose one fruit after lunch and one fruit after dinner before he has dessert. And for him, milk is a food group. He goes through gallons each week. I'm not exaggerating.

So I'm asking you Jessica Seinfeld, how do you get a kid to just plain eat?

3 comments:

The Mantha Family said...

I'm with you on that one. And part of me thinks we should not be hiding veggies to trick our kids to eat them. They should eat them and know they are eating them. Not sure how to do that though!

sixtytwodays said...

I'd like that answer too, so if Jessica responds please forward it to me!

Emily has maybe 7 foods she eats, nuts, potato chips, rice, cheese, milk ice cream (sometimes), chicken nuggets, tortilla shells, noodles and ground beef. That looks pretty good on paper, actually, the problem is that she eats maybe 4 bites at a sitting. Being tube fed at night might have a little bit to do with that.

My neighbor made the spinach brownies ala Jessica Seinfeld once...they tasted like spinach. NOBODY ate them.

When Isabelle went through a milk only stage at age two my mom told me that milk is natures perfect food - it had everything she needed and I should just keep her sippy cup full and not worry. She was probably just saying that because she's my mom and I was a first time mom about to become a second time mom and I was crying to her on the phone...but, I think she's right. Isabelle continued to grow and eat new foods (she requested broccoli to go with chicken parmesean tonight...!!!) and she is now right on target.

So, fill up that sippy cup mom. Pour a glass for yourself and share a "toast."

Kate said...

Hey that sounds like somebody I know! Picky, I think he takes after his mother, except for the milk!