Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day Two of No TV

I rely on TV to babysit the twins more than I like to admit. We didn't let them watch TV until they turned 2 years old but since then it seems to have just exploded around here. And it's all my fault. I try and stay within the AAP guidelines of 2 hours a day or less, but sometimes they watch two DVD movies and that's THREE HOURS!

On Monday I had a knock down drag out fight with Tom trying to get him on the potty (with no success) into a diaper and into bed for his nap. He wanted to watch another TV program and just was not having it. Lucky (or unlucky) for him, he gets his stubborn personality from me so when I say time out I mean it. When I say it's nap time, there's no discussion. It's rare we have these tantrums and I have to remind myself he is only 3 but it still frustrates me and I think the culprit is television. I find when they don't watch TV they are much happier campers. As if they weren't happy enough! If you've spent any time with the twins you will see they are generally happy well adjusted 3 year olds. But every once in awhile....watch out!

So today is day two of absolutely no TV. They continue to amuse themselves together and I really haven't had to change my routine too much. Instead of watching TV, they are playing (as they do everyday, even on TV days) There have been little to no tears and we are doing rather well. It just takes a little more time for me to organize activities and help them with reading, stickers, coloring, painting and building. Since I live and breathe for these kiddos, I really don't mind! But everyday Abby is asking, "what day is it?" Because I told her maybe on Saturday, she can watch some TV. It's unfortunate she is punished because of Tom's behavior, but really, putting them on TV restriction isn't in itself a punishment at all. They'll thank me for it later.

2 comments:

MamaLlama said...

Yeah no TV is tough as I am weaning myself a bit from it too and moving about is good. I am getting more things done lately too. It is hard being tough but consistency is the best thing and setting limits is good.

The Mantha Family said...

Good for you Tara - maybe once they aren't so into TV as much, they can watch a little more. Painting sounds like fun!