Thursday, May 29, 2008

Infectious Tracheobronchitis

Those are two words I never thought I'd have to utter about MY dog! Yup! It seems Orion may have picked up "kennel cough" from the good ol' folks at Elite Dogs in West Sacramento. We left Orion there for a week while we toured the Eastern United States over the holiday weekend. Well tonight when me and the fam went outside to go play with some hoses Orion went nuts (as usual) only he was coughing like he had to cough up a hair ball. I didn't pay much attention for the first minute and then it dawned on me, our good friends brought their dog to the same kennel and came home with kennel cough two weeks ago. They called the kennel and we all assumed everything had been sanitized. I guess not!

We're going to call our vet tomorrow to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment, but I'm pretty sure that's what we have on our hands here. And guess what, it is contagious to humans, but only to those with compromised immune systems. Raise your hand if' you've got one of those! Oh yeah, I do! So now I can't go near my own dog, or take him to the vet. Instead Paul has to take some time off work tomorrow to do the honors. You can bet Elite Dogs will get an ear full from me if Orion does indeed have kennel cough.

1 comment:

The Mantha Family said...

Oh no! What a pain! Like you don't have enough to do, now you have to deal with the kennel ... sorry!