Thursday, April 03, 2008

Gas Mileage

I have a theory about gas tanks. Now, I've only ever own three cars my whole life. The first was gifted to me when I was 16. It was a 1990 Mazda 323. I drove it for 8 years until I bought my first SUV in 2000. I drove that SUV for 7 years until I bought my very first brand new car, the Escape Hybrid. All three cars were very different gas mileage wise, but one thing remained the same. I seemed to get better gas mileage at the top of the tank than during the last half of the tank. And now thanks to a handy dandy computer installed in my new Hybrid, I can prove just that.

I just about died on Tuesday when I checked my average MPGs after running some errands. 24 MPG. What???!!! I called Paul and asked him if he was playing an april fools joke on me. Turns out, he had reset the average MPG counter the previous day. My gas tank was nearly empty and as I ran errands around town I average 24 MPGs. Gasp!

Fast Forward to today. I filled up my tank Tuesday night and reset my handy dandy computer that tells me the average MPG. I've ran practically the same errands as Tuesday (Preschool, grocery store etc), driven with the same gas saving techniques as Tuesday and with a full tank of gas I'm now getting 37.6 MPG. Now that's more like it! So there you go folks. Proof as to why you should gas up when the gas tank is still half full.

I rest my case.

2 comments:

The Mantha Family said...

That is really weird - I would have thought the MPG would be better with an empty tank because the car would weigh less. Guess not ... wonder why this is?

MamaLlama said...

That is amazing, with gas prices what they are I don't go below a half a tank.