Tuesday, March 04, 2008

It's My Piggy Bank!

Tom was quite the bear today. He got upset in the car on the way home from preschool. Then he calmed down on the way home and asked to go to the park. I thought, it's a nice day, let's do that. So I told him we'd stop at the park for a few minutes. He said, "No! Lots of minutes! Six minutes!"

Abby was already hungry for lunch, so I knew we wouldn't stay long. As it was time to go Tom melted down again. This time I was one of those moms that couldn't control her child. Tom was literally on the ground, lying down, big crocodile tears and loud wails beckoning Abby to come back to him, as she wasn't supposed to get to the car first. He's particular like that.

She played along and I eventually carried Tom to the car, then he spied it. Another child at the park with a cup of Jamba Juice. His FAVORITE! He asked if we could stop by Jamba Juice, but by this point there was no way I was getting him in and out of the car again, so I said no. The next logical question is, "why not mommy?" So I told him I didn't have money for that right now because we have homemade smoothies at home in the fridge. Next he offered to use money from his piggy bank to buy his Jamba Juice. Isn't that sweet? I had to tell him the money in his piggy bank was for big things like college and books. That was the end of the conversation.

Of course there were more tears as we got out of the car because I wouldn't let him eat anything without washing his hands first. I'm a terrible mother really. But we do have the healthiest kids on the block. They can thank me later for that.

2 comments:

MamaLlama said...

What a sad day. Sounds like Tom was probably hungry like Abby but didn't know it. Hope He is back to his sunny personality today.

The Mantha Family said...

Oh no! Poor Tom. He must be going through something. He needs to come up with a response for your "college and books" comment like "I don't need college, I'm going to drive buses."