Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Steel Bladder Strikes Again

Tom inherited my steel bladder. This is great for extra lengthy errands or car trips, but not so great when I want to teach good potty habits at home. In general he is "forced" to potty before nap time and before bed time. He rarely asks to go potty in between those times. Some days it's like pulling teeth to get him to go on the potty. Today was one of those day i thought I was going to rip my hair out.

First we had a late lunch, so we were behind schedule by about a half hour. Around 1:15 I started to gather the troops. Abby went potty without a problem, she always does. I chased Tom down and got him to sit on the potty around 1:30. I came in and out of the bathroom (mostly in, perching on the edge of the bath tub trying to coax him to go potty) asking him if he was done. By 1:50 my patience was wearing thin. I started begging, pleading, bribing. I held his hand, as he asked. No go. I gave him brown bears, as he asked, still no go. So I took away brown bears and told him he could hold them when he was done. Still nothing. By 5 after 2PM Abby was tired and wanted to go to bed. I left the bathroom and told Tom to keep trying (he hadn't peed ALL day, so I KNOW there was something in there). I sat in the twins bedroom with Abby while she was falling asleep. About 5-10 minutes had gone by and I noticed Tom was really quiet so I went to go check on him. He had fallen asleep on the potty! This was a first! I almost snapped a picture, but I felt so bad for him I whisked him off the potty. He'd been sitting on the potty so long, the potty seat was stuck to him and had to be peeled off his baby bottom. He collapsed into my shoulder as I carried him, pants around the ankles to bed.

In the end he won. He never went potty and he'll use the diaper I put on him instead. I hate losing.

2 comments:

Chipmunk Chatter said...

LOL!!! And really I did LOL! I wish you would have taken a picture...it would have been a great one!

The Mantha Family said...

How funny that he fell asleep on the potty!! A picture would have been great!