Friday, February 08, 2008

Our First Trip to the Dentist!

Tom and Abby embarked on a adventure Wednesday, they went to the Dentist! The morning was not off to a good start as I was hurried to get them out the door on time. I had to put on their shoes and brush their hair with five minutes to spare. What I found in Abby's hair was a tangled mess of breakfast syrup. *sigh* If it's not one thing, it's another unexpected speed bump! In the end, we did get there on time.

I took them to a Children's dentist hoping they had magical potions, powders or spells to make the visit enjoyable. Not so much luck there. All I got was protesting all week, "I'm not going!" "I won't open my mouth!" "I won't let her brush my teeth!" all week long when I tried to talk up the dentist. I can't just spring something like that on the twins, that would be like pulling a rug out from underneath them while on roller skates. Not pretty.

We arrived and went directly to the playroom. They had video games, toys and an outdoor patio with a play house and riding cars. I think we waited less than 10 minutes, which is good. We were led back to an exam room with a less than enthusiastic hygienist. She was kind and gentle, but a little to introverted to be a scared child's hygienist. She seemed hesitant and shy. Not like the other hygienist I saw come collect another unsuspecting 3 year old victim, er patient. She handed out high fives, balloons and loud cheery encouragement before the kid even got to the exam room.



Once in the exam room I got to sit on a swivel chair and Tom volunteered his sister to go first. There was a little TV screen above the patient's chair, but the volume was so low the TV hardly got Tom and Abby's attention. I kept waiting for them to pass out headphones or something. Abby squirmed, resisted and tears welled up in her eyes while we begged, pleaded and bribed her to open her mouth for the cleaning. We ended up using a regular toothbrush to finish the cleaning and then she was done.

Next was Tom's turn. He did not want to be put into the chair. I had to place him there. He also pursed his lips and reached for me. She got as far as tooth number 2 before she gave up and used the regular toothbrush. Actually by that point, Tom was in my lap and I got to brush his teeth. Even though he picked the Vanilla-Orange flavor, I don't think he was impressed.

Next we had to wait and wait and wait for the dentist to arrive. It was probably only 10 minutes, but when you're stuck in an exam room with 2 antsy preschoolers using all 4 exam chairs as an amusement park, it can feel like an eternity! Tom did some laps running around and around the big room. Abby mostly played with the chairs. Of course they wanted my chair, the one that spins!

Finally the dentist arrives and Abby happily climbs back into the exam chair. She even opened her mouth for the dentist! She wasn't bothered by the gloves and mask. She let the dentist count her teeth, examine her gums etc. Tom was getting nervous because he wanted to know why she had those two tools in her mouth. The mirror and the pokey thing. We assured him she was just counting. By the time it was his turn I could see his wheels turning already. "I just met you and you want to stick your hands where? In my mouth?" He did lie down for a mili-second. Then leapt out of the exam chair and into my arms, clinging to me like a little monkey. The dentist then conceded, "ok, this will be a lap visit!" So I turned Tom so he was straddling me, facing me. Then he laid down onto the dentist's lap, as she was facing me in the other swivel chair. I held his hands and legs while the dentist held his head with one hand and counted things with the other as he screamed and whaled the whole time. The good thing about screaming children is, they open their mouths for that activity. Perfect for a trip to the dentist. She painted some flouride all over the twins teeth and then proceeded to tell me they couldn't eat for an hour. Great! It was 11:30 by this point. She also gave me instruction not to brush their teeth that night, rather hold off until the next morning. Well that didn't go over well with Tom. He is a creature of habit. He does the same things at the same times every day. After story time he brushes his teeth, well, I brush his teeth. That night was no exception. I tried to just lightly cover all the surfaces but he wasn't having it, he made me brush every single tooth several times. Little stinker. Abby on the other hand was beyond thrilled to not brush her teeth. She hates that activity, as we've been having to pin her down and force her lately.

2 comments:

The Mantha Family said...

Now that is an adventure ... you got through the first dentist appointment. It must be easier next time, right?

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry it was such an EVENT! I hope it goes better next time!