Monday, November 26, 2007

Just Call Me Gills

Well, Abby's been sick all weekend. She has a fever, and no other symptoms yet. So we've been laying low for the last four days as she's been sleeping a lot. She also wants to be cuddled and just held for hours on end. Poor thing.

I went to the doctor today and my lung function did not improve, but held steady from last week, my smaller airways did improve with the extra week of IV antibiotics. The big news is, I got to have my IV taken out! No more IVs for the time being. I'm still anemic and my doc said it'll be weeks before my hemoglobin returns to normal. I thought at least it would go up a tenth of a percentage, but it remained at 9.7 from the sample taken on Friday. I also got the results from the culture I sent off about 10 days ago because I was curious as to what was growing in my lungs. It turns out I'm growing a strange bacteria called Aeromonas salmonicida. This gram negative bugger is best known for plaguing rainbow trout. Since I neither eat fish or live with fish, I'm concerned as to how I picked it up. Based on my google searches I found that it has been known to contaminate tap water, raw meat and fresh vegetables. All of which I have handled in the last 3 months. So, now you know.

2 comments:

PxT said...

I told you not to handle tap water! You should bathe only in Evian.

The Mantha Family said...

Yuck - sorry to hear you have a weird infection. And sorry Abby's sick. It is sweet that she wants cuddle time though!