Monday, September 10, 2007

Would You Like Some Toe Jam With That Nap?

When the twins go down for their nap, I have to sit in their room until they fall asleep. This generally takes up to 20 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less. I usually pretend my eyes are closed and simply ignore them because they fall asleep faster when mom is boring! They do some interesting things to keep from sleeping sometimes. For example, today, Tom laid flat on his back, knees up and bent with one leg crossed of the next. Then he licked his index finger, rubbed it between his big toe and second toe. Then he licked the same finger again and repeated the process until he had rubbed his wet finger between all his toes on both feet. And I just sat and watched. Ew. Kids are funny.

In other news Abby has picked up a stutter. It seems to be harmless and after I armed myself with pages and pages of internet truths about this subject I have come to the conclusion, although frustrating for her and I, the stuttering is probably harmless and will stop by the time she's 5. Did I just say FIVE?! Yes, it can continue for 2 more years, and it's only just begun. I have alerted her preschool teachers and they also said this type of stutter is common when 3 year olds start a new preschool. So for now, we'll just have to bear with her as she stutters. It's cute in a way, but sometimes I just want her to spit it out already! Instead I will smile, kneel down to her level and look her in the eye as I just wait for her to get her thoughts formed into words. And there are a lot of thoughts a 3 year old can have in one day!

No comments: